PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a recommendation for a digital camera.

Stevew
07-05-11, 06:05 PM
I'm looking to buy a new camera for my wife as a gift ( she's not aware of this ), she's been using an Olympus C-5050Z since 2002 that's just about worn out. Can anyone recommend a compact digital camera that has a viewfinder and manual mode ( both are important ). The budget is preferably below 200, but if pushed I could go up to 300.

HD Video would also be a big plus feature.

The Olympus C-5050Z size or smaller would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

canismajor
08-05-11, 02:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a new camera for my wife as a gift ( she's not aware of this ), she's been using an Olympus C-5050Z since 2002 that's just about worn out. Can anyone recommend a compact digital camera that has a viewfinder and manual mode ( both are important ). The budget is preferably below 200, but if pushed I could go up to 300.

HD Video would also be a big plus feature.

The Olympus C-5050Z size or smaller would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance

Steve
Hi Steve.Have a look at the Fujifilm S1600 (179) It has a viewfinder + manual mode, also zooms from28mm-420mm. Another Fujifilm compact is the S1800, ( 199), 28-504MM Zoom, also with viewfinder and manual mode. In 2005 I had a fujifilm compact which was only 4mp but it's still going strong and my grandson uses it. It produces great A4 prints even now, so I do like this brand. Hope you find what you need. All the best, Mike.

Stevew
08-05-11, 03:17 PM
Hi Steve.Have a look at the Fujifilm S1600 (179) It has a viewfinder + manual mode, also zooms from28mm-420mm. Another Fujifilm compact is the S1800, ( 199), 28-504MM Zoom, also with viewfinder and manual mode. In 2005 I had a fujifilm compact which was only 4mp but it's still going strong and my grandson uses it. It produces great A4 prints even now, so I do like this brand. Hope you find what you need. All the best, Mike.

Many thanks for the information adn advice Mike.

I thought about the Fuji cameras, but was concerned over the EVF. Someone who had one of the earlier Fuji models with an EVF, said it was very hard to use in low light. However, the price of these cameras is pretty keen at present, but there model numbering system is really confusing ? The Fuji FinePix S1600 & S1730 appear to be exactly the same camera, but the S1730 can be had for around 93 and the S1600 for 99. The S1800 and S2300 are on sale from between 119 and 138.

Another possible is the Nikon P7000 which is currently on offer at 339 with free case and 2 x 2GB cards. ( although its over budget ), but the Fuji's are tempting if I could work out there model numbering system for the S1600 & S1730 ( I believe there are other numbers like the 1780 that also have the same specs ? )

canismajor
08-05-11, 05:20 PM
Many thanks for the information adn advice Mike.

I thought about the Fuji cameras, but was concerned over the EVF. Someone who had one of the earlier Fuji models with an EVF, said it was very hard to use in low light. However, the price of these cameras is pretty keen at present, but there model numbering system is really confusing ? The Fuji FinePix S1600 & S1730 appear to be exactly the same camera, but the S1730 can be had for around 93 and the S1600 for 99. The S1800 and S2300 are on sale from between 119 and 138.

Another possible is the Nikon P7000 which is currently on offer at 339 with free case and 2 x 2GB cards. ( although its over budget ), but the Fuji's are tempting if I could work out there model numbering system for the S1600 & S1730 ( I believe there are other numbers like the 1780 that also have the same specs ? )
Hi Steve. Recommend you read the reviews on Amazon on the P7000 before you buy one, then it's up to you. As for the two Fujifilm cameras, the difference is mainly in the focal lengths, and also the S1800 has no Image Stabilisation whereas the S1600 does, apart from that the two are basically the same. The early models did have small EVF, but the new ones have 3 inch LCD screens which should be much better. Suggest you grab a copy of WDC mag and check out the Buyers Guide. There you'll find just about every camera and a brief assessment which should be of help. All the best, Mike.

Stevew
08-05-11, 07:16 PM
Hi Steve. Recommend you read the reviews on Amazon on the P7000 before you buy one, then it's up to you. As for the two Fujifilm cameras, the difference is mainly in the focal lengths, and also the S1800 has no Image Stabilisation whereas the S1600 does, apart from that the two are basically the same. The early models did have small EVF, but the new ones have 3 inch LCD screens which should be much better. Suggest you grab a copy of WDC mag and check out the Buyers Guide. There you'll find just about every camera and a brief assessment which should be of help. All the best, Mike.

I'll take a look Mike, the Nikon appears to be highly rated ( since the firmware upgrade ), I cant seem to find anything bad about it. But I keep hearing about purple banding problems on the S1600 & S1730 ( I believe the S1730 is exclusive to Argos & just a renamed S1600 ).

The S1600 is very tempting at 99, but to match the specs of her current Olympus C-5050Z - it would have to be the Nikon.

I'm sure it will sort itself out at some point :)

canismajor
08-05-11, 07:36 PM
I'll take a look Mike, the Nikon appears to be highly rated ( since the firmware upgrade ), I cant seem to find anything bad about it. But I keep hearing about purple banding problems on the S1600 & S1730 ( I believe the S1730 is exclusive to Argos & just a renamed S1600 ).

The S1600 is very tempting at 99, but to match the specs of her current Olympus C-5050Z - it would have to be the Nikon.

I'm sure it will sort itself out at some point :)
Well Steve, it's a tricky problem for sure ensuring that you get the right camera for the right job, there are so many cameras out there to choose from. Perhaps during the weekdays other forum users will be able to offer you some practical tips based on personal knowledge. Anyway, I wish you all success and when you've finally made your purchase perhaps you will tell us of your findings, and how you feel about your new camera. Happy hunting, Mike.