PDA

View Full Version : samsung or fujifilm?

buckle
01-05-11, 05:58 PM
hi people im new here first post.

just wanted to know i been offered a samsung GX-1L by a friend

or do i buy the fujifilm finepix hs10 from local jessops shop?

the samsung comes with two lenses to 55mm and a 200mm

thanks dan

buckle
01-05-11, 07:48 PM
i looked at the compare site but i dont understand it fully so heres the link if someone could translate it for me lol which is best one to buy be greatful

http://www.camera-catalog.com/compares/popular/fujifilm_finepix_hs10_vs_samsung_gx-1l

buckle
02-05-11, 08:13 AM
im on a camera forum and people looked at this and no one knows about these cameras lol

graham_c
02-05-11, 10:57 AM
Hi Buckle. Sorry for delay in responding but it is a bank holiday and most of us are out taking photos.What are you going to take photos of.. graham

canismajor
02-05-11, 11:07 AM
Hi Dan. Don't forget it's a Bank Holiday and not many will be using the forum to give answers. The cameras you mentioned do different things and it depends what you want to photograph. I can't find any info on the Samsung, but the Finepix cameras are good value, my first one from 2005 is still great and works well. The HS10 has a big zoom range of 24-721mm, plus a viewfinder which I find essential. Not all cameras have one. The HS10 was tested last July in this magazine which said it was good value for money. It has a RRP of 439 but that is always negotiable and you should pay a lot less. On the info you provided that's all I can say at the moment. All the best.

graham_c
02-05-11, 11:19 AM
Hi. Just read a review on the samsung and it is quite good. Apparently it is a joint build with pentax/ samsung here is the link http://www.trustedreviews.com/Samsung-GX-1L-Digital-SLR_Digital-Camera_review. hope this helps graham

buckle
02-05-11, 02:54 PM
well i be talking pictures of track day stuff eg bikes and cars, but also i want to take pictures of very upclose things like a flower or bee somthink along those lines.

im stuck in the middle what to do as samsung is 5 years old now and tech has moved on since. but what do you think would be best for what im taking pictures of?

thanks dan

graham_c
02-05-11, 06:30 PM
Hi Dan,firstly let me say i mainly take landscapes,perhaps someone with more experience will give better advice.It seems to me that a 200mm zoom lens may not be long enough to get the shots you will be wanting.I would have thought a longer zoom might be required.What i would do is go to the seller explain what you want it for and try it out

On close up photos the gx1l would be ideal but it might need a macro lens. You can pick up used ones quite cheaply i bought a 55 mm macro for 25 in a car boot sale.

The hs10 will do all you want in a camera but it has a smaller sensor which means the photos although really good won't be quite as good as the gx1l, but still really good photos. If you don't want the bother of lugging a bag of lenses around give this camera serious thought
From what i read on these cameras they both seem good cameras...good luck graham

buckle
02-05-11, 07:03 PM
the samsung only has 6mp as fuji has 10.3 will that make any diference?
and the fuji has a 720mm zoom is that enough for what i would want?

thanks for information its great!!

many thanks dan

graham_c
02-05-11, 07:18 PM
Hi ,I think we get to hung up on m/pixels it only determines the size of the photo when you print it. My first digital camera and i still use it is a 2 megapixel fujifilm A205s and it prints a 6x4 photo as good as my nikon d90. That's my rant finished,I would think a 720mm zoom would more than you will need...graham

buckle
02-05-11, 07:26 PM
ha only thing is with hs10 is cant take the lenses off. i was thinking go for full works and get a cannon slr. for 600 ish price, but the lense prices put me off i seen one for 15000 crazy lol but will hs10 do what i need, track days and few close up pictures?

graham_c
02-05-11, 07:33 PM
here is a link This photo was taken on a system giving me a approx. a 800mm zoom http://www.flickr.com/photos/54504488@N08/5439181833/in/photostream

buckle
02-05-11, 07:42 PM
gggg thats amazing :)

graham_c
02-05-11, 07:56 PM
Glad you liked the photo the hs10 will do all you want with respectable results. But a dslr will always be a wee bit better. Don't know if you'r interested but amazon are doing a nikon d3000 [last years model] but still a good camera for 305 but then your back to lenses again.. graham

buckle
02-05-11, 08:15 PM
i just looked at that argos do a deal for 300 but then need lenses a 300mm cost 130 on amazon, but they are better like you said, ill have a think now on what you said mate :)

thanks alot for advice

graham_c
02-05-11, 08:17 PM
No problem will look out for your posts... graham

canismajor
06-05-11, 09:28 AM

many thanks dan
Hi, I agree with Graham in that 720mm zoom will be plenty of 'pull' for your needs. My 120-400mm lens does a great job at the trackside and is ample for where I stand. There are lenses that go from macro to 300mm zoom. I still have one from my days of film photography, it's a Sigma 70-300mm with a macro setting of 2:1. I bought a screw on lens which then gave it a 1:1 life size capability, and produced great shots too. Just weigh up all the comments from our forum users and then hopefully you will be more informed when making your purchase. All the best, Mike.

Mike Lowe
21-06-11, 04:12 PM

many thanks dan

Megapixel counts don't really mean all that much. The Samsung sensor is a whoooole lot bigger than the Fuji, so it'll have the potential better quality. However, the camera's far older than the HS10 (and, from memory, wasn't a UK release) so I don't have experience of the Samsung to give first hand views.