PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking for advice

antere07
26-04-11, 07:03 PM
Hey,
Im anthony, im interested in photography (hence why im on here lol) i did photography as a gcse and i also followed it on at college but when i left college it faded away. But i just spent a weekend in france visiting family and my uncle just bought a nikon dslr and it reignited my love for photography.

Ive probably got about £300-400 to spend on a camera, im steering towards the nikon range just because my uncles is nikon and the ones we used to use at college were nikon but asfar as photography equipment is concerned ive just been handed it and done what i had to do so i was looking for abit of advice on what camera to get. Ive read the what camera to get but im still not sure wondering if someone could help. Im looking to take pictures of anything and everything as i said i dont know anything about lenses either the standard one on the nikon is 18-55mm but ide like to do some sports photography standing on the touch line so abit of adivce on lenses for that too would be appreciated

Ive been looking at this nikon d3000 which is £299 in argos with a 18-55mm lens or the Canon EOS 1000D

canismajor
27-04-11, 11:27 AM
Hi Anthony. I'm a Nikon user and also into sports pics, and this is where it gets costly. I use the sigma 120-400mm which costs about £600 and does a good job. I also use my Nikon 18-200mm which is fine if you are quite near the action to fill the frame, which is essential. No good the subject being a small spot in your viewfinder. As you're on a limited budget maybe you might consider a bridge camera, many have huge zooms of up to 840mm, and cost about £350, some compacts also do this. DSLR cameras and lenses are expensive and many choose other options. Keep in touch and you can ask anything which I'll try to answer, I've only been snapping for 50 years!.

GavClifton
27-04-11, 05:55 PM
The Nikon D3100 kit (18-55 vr lens) costs £399 after the £40 cashback offer, you have to buy before the 5th may though, OR there is the equally impressive Pentax K-x kit (18-55) @ £349 both from Jessops.Possibly, (depending which way you look at it) the slight downer with the pentax is it runs off AA bateries but in head to head tests it takes better pics than the NIkon.
as for lenses I have seen the Tamron AF 70-300 f/.4-5.6 Di LD Macro for £99 or the Sigma 50-200 f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM (optical stabalised & Hyper sonic Motor) for £108.99 both brand new.

Mike Lowe
04-05-11, 05:09 PM
Both the Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS 1000D have been replaced by the D3100 and 1100D respectively. The newer models see some positive updates – the 1100D in particular has a speedy autofocus system that may change your mind over the Nikon. However both models are just beyond the upper limits of your budget at around £450 (unless you’re lucky enough to find a cashback offer). Should you be fixed on buying one of the older models then, out of the D3000 and 1000D that you’ve suggested, I’d suggest the D3000 which is the newer and more up to date of the pair.