PDA

View Full Version : Nikon or Canon? and Image Stabilisation

Sneezy24
13-04-11, 04:12 PM
New to DSLRs, but have had in the past Pentax Spotmatic and ME Super.

Currently using a Fuji FinePix F30, which is very good but retirement looms and I want to take up 'proper' photography again.

Currently looking at:-

Nikon D3100
Canon EOS 1100D
Canon EOS 600D

Possibly Nikon D5100 once a few reviews come out.

I'm about 6 months away from purchase but like to research (and dream!).

Any comments on the above?

Main photography will be:-

Buildings/town scapes
Aviation (air-shows)
Motor sport (Le Mans)

Stock lens (18-55) should do as a start, probably get a 55-250-ish later.

Next question:

Is Image Stabilisation worth the extra bearing in mind my main subject interest?

Quite happy to use a tripod for the buildings etc, and have never had IS before but turned out some decent pics!

I'll keep the F30 as a pocket point & shoot for holidays, etc.

Thanks in advance for comments.

wave
15-04-11, 10:30 AM
Both canon and nikon have IS in the lens so the choice would be made when you buy a lens. For the action shots you have to conceder lighting conditions so long fast glass would be required IMHO IS would be of help.

graham_c
15-04-11, 10:45 AM
That's good advice you will need a fast lens. On the vr/is you're better to have it and not need it, as need it and not have it. It might come in handy for you're town scapes..

good luck..graham

canismajor
16-04-11, 10:22 AM
From my own personal experience I would say go for any form of Image Stabilisation (IS) usually on Sigma lenses of which I have 4. Or Vibration Reduction (VR) found on Nikon lenses of which I have the great 18-200mm. I love taking pics of motor cycle racing as well as cricket and other sports, but what must be also considered is if you use a long telephoto lens, having IS or VR will be essential especially for low light conditions where shutter speeds will be slower than you would like. Personally I would not be without stabilisation. Happy shooting!

Sneezy24
16-04-11, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the responses chaps, I might be able to stretch my budget a little and make the choice between Canon 600D or Nikon D5100.

From handling Canon and Nikon, I have to say I prefer how the Nikon feels, the buttons fall more easily to my fingers/thumbs, and I like the shuuter button position (Canon feels a bit too far forward). Nikon also feels more substantial.

Probably buying in early NOvemeber when some shares are vested and I can cash them in!

canismajor
19-04-11, 07:42 PM
Hi again. Just thought of an outing in which my friend who is Canon mad, asked me could he try out my Nikon D300 which had the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens attached. So I handed it to him and waited, he was very quiet for a while but finally spoke and said the following-----" Damn it, this camera is just brilliant, it feels right and I love how bright the viewfinder is. My trouble is that I have too much Canon gear to start off again, so l'll have to stick with it, damn!!" I hope this helps you to make an informed choice.