PDA

View Full Version : Digiscoping.

titanthedog
25-02-11, 04:46 PM
am about to buy my first DSLR mainly for wildlife photography, so I need a good telephoto lens. Am I better getting a good 400/500mm lens possibly with a teleconvertor, or attach the camera to my scope with a fixed x30 magnification. This will obvioulsy give me a better reach, but will the image suffer if attached to a scope? Hope someone out there can help.

graham_c
25-02-11, 05:46 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Can you tell me what you camera your looking at and what scope, you have....graham

titanthedog
25-02-11, 09:11 PM
Hi Graham,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for delay in responding, but my internet connection is playing up.
I am thinking of purchasing a Nikon D3100. My scope is a Viking V80 with 30x eyepiece. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Rae

graham_c
25-02-11, 10:15 PM
Hi . This is a no brainer . You are getting a d3100 and already have a viking v80 scope. All you need now is a dslr adaptor and a maybe a t mount. I would get the adaptor and use the scope. You will need to shoot in manual mode and may experience 1 or 2 exposure problems ,but once you sort them out you won't lose any quality, in fact it may enhance it. I use an opticron mm2 scope hooked up to a panasonic fs10 and the photos i'm getting for the money i spent awesome. You could also try the bird watching forums. Im a member of it and the dslr spotters will keep you right... graham

titanthedog
25-02-11, 10:43 PM
Hi Graham,
Many thanks for your very clrear and helpful response. Looks as if I will get a better image and save myself about 900. Have booked myself onto a day long wildlife photography course at my local RSPB reserve, will also take your advice and look up some of the bird watching forums.
Thanks again, Regards, Rae:

graham_c
26-02-11, 07:03 PM
Hi tiatn Exciting times ahead for you. The rsbp shoot sound great. Remember to post some of your photos... good luck... graham