PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that more megapixels mean more noise? (new camera)

Dran
02-02-11, 07:20 PM
I'm looking into getting a new digital camera. My initial reaction was to get as many megapixels as I can afford. But then I read that for a 6x4 photo, 10 megapixels is actually overkill and more megapixels can increase the level of noise in the photo.

Is this true? If all I want to do is print 6x4 photos, will I actually get better results (less noise) from, say a 5 megapixel camera??

Thanks.

graham_c
02-02-11, 08:17 PM
Hi dren I presume. you are thinking on a compact camera. If all you are going to do is print 6x4 photos then a 5 or 8 mega pixeles is all you will require.As to your noise question you are better getting a 8mp camera with a 1 inch sensor opposed to a 12mp camera with a 1 inch sensor. the 12mp camera will give more noise. Another thing, if you get a compact get one with mechanical image stabiliser, the cheaper ones[ anti shake] just increase the iso which leads to noise... hope this helps

Chris Cool
02-02-11, 08:28 PM
Hi

Usually, the higher the MP, the more noise is created on a compact camera due to the very small sensor. However, software is getting better all the time to deal with it.

If all you want to do is print 6x4 photos, then 10MB is ample :)

Regards

Chris

Dran
02-02-11, 09:00 PM
Hi dren I presume. you are thinking on a compact camera. If all you are going to do is print 6x4 photos then a 5 or 8 mega pixeles is all you will require.As to your noise question you are better getting a 8mp camera with a 1 inch sensor opposed to a 12mp camera with a 1 inch sensor. the 12mp camera will give more noise.

Thanks. So, it depends also on the size of the sensor? Is there an ideal ratio between the two?
(Is for example 10mp/2 inch sensor better than 8pm/1 inch sensor??)

graham_c
02-02-11, 09:37 PM
A 10mp/2 inch is better than a 8mp/1inch sensor. If you are looking for a single measurement go for the bigger sensor ... graham

Chris Cool
02-02-11, 09:57 PM
Thanks. So, it depends also on the size of the sensor? Is there an ideal ratio between the two?
(Is for example 10mp/2 inch sensor better than 8pm/1 inch sensor??)

Yes!

Most compact cameras used by point 'n shoot people use a very small sensor of around a finger nail size, hence the noise problem. ( I use the Panasonic TZ7 which is a point 'n shoot camera with a very small sensor - I also use imaging software to correct and give my images some pop)

It's surprising what you can do if you understand the basics of photography.

Take a look at my site which will show you what I mean. Click me (http://www.siuya.plus.com/)

Because you are saying you only want to print 6"x4", a smaller sensor would be just fine.

Cheers

Chris

graham_c
02-02-11, 10:21 PM
The way to measure sensors is .You will see numbers like 1/2.5"what you do is divide 1 by 2.5. The smaller the denominator the better Siuya is right though you just need a small sensor. Here is a link that may help www.sensorsize.com

Dran
03-02-11, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone.
What I meant earleir was, is a 10mp/1 inch sensor better than 8pm/2 inch sensor??

I only want a cheap compact to take (mostly) 6x4 photos. Obviosuly I want the best quality possibility. My initial worry though was that for my needs, 8pm might actually be better than 10mp. Is that true or not?

Chris Cool
03-02-11, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone.
What I meant earleir was, is a 10mp/1 inch sensor better than 8pm/2 inch sensor??

I only want a cheap compact to take (mostly) 6x4 photos. Obviosuly I want the best quality possibility. My initial worry though was that for my needs, 8pm might actually be better than 10mp. Is that true or not?

Don't get all tied up about 8mp and 10mp. It's a non issue when printing small and only really comes into play around A3 size.

You can't use the word 'cheap' and then say you want 'best quality possible'.

The best way to get quality is to buy last years model or get refurbished ones.

Fuji has refurbished stock Click me (https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/view-all)

Or go to your local camera shop and see what's available, or give me your budget and I'll suggest something for you :)

Cheers

Chris

PS I didn't answer your post on AP as I'm replying here :)