PDA

View Full Version : DSLRs

tag274
17-01-11, 07:10 PM
Hello,

In a month or two i'm planning on purchasing my first D-SLR. I think to advance my photography it would be best to go for a D-SLR after previously using a Fujifilm S1500 (hated red) and a Sony Cybershot DSC-730 which is now sadly wearing out and lacking the quality of most other cameras now. I have a budget of about 300 - 450 and i'm hoping for real value for money that will last me around two - three years. Now i'm just wondering does anybody have any specific cameras within that price range? I don't really mind the make, providing its not Fujifilm and I am looking for it to take around 3 frames per second.

I have looked at a few cameras and i've so far drawn up a shortlist of two:

Sony Alpha A290/A390 (Favoured considering my success with Sony before)
Canon EOS 1000D (Looks like it has plenty of scope)

I look forward to your responses!

Nigel Atherton
19-01-11, 10:42 AM
The obvious cameras you've missed out include the Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-x.

The Nikon D3100 is best for novices as it has a built in user guide that helps explain what the features do. It also has 1080p video ad great image quality.

The Pentax K-x also has live view, movie mode and adds built in image stabilisation. Its also much faster at 4.7fps.

The Sony A290 is a bit plasticky and quirky styling, but has a good guide mode and built in IS, though no live view or movie mode. The A390 has Live View and a tilting screen but is otherwise similar.

The Canon EOS 1000D is a bit long in the tooth in this company. It does have Live View but no movie mode and its metering/focusing spec is a bit underwhelming compared with rivals.

Go into a shop and try them all out because the way they handle is very important.