PDA

View Full Version : Sony a390 or Nikon 3100

biggsy
12-01-11, 09:57 PM
Hi all, this is my first post on the site :)

I took photography at AS level and enjoyed it as i had been doing it as a hobby for a while. I dropped it in second year and sold my d80 :(

I am looking to get back into the wonderful world of photography and considering which DSLR to buy so any help would be great!

USE - I will be using the camera for general use but would like something that would take good photos of my dog and i would also love to take some sport photos too (football, motorsport ect.)

Thanks for anyones help :D

wave
13-01-11, 03:36 PM
As usual its a difficult call have you looked at these cameras. I would say as you have used a d80 then you will favour Nikon plus you used to the way they do things. Remember that you are buying into system. Good luck

biggsy
13-01-11, 07:32 PM
I think that maybe i will go for a sony a390 just for affordability and for a fresh start. Theyre good cameras.

Could idea???

Nigel Atherton
19-01-11, 10:50 AM
Allow me to repeat a reply to another post, because it seems you're both looking for the same sort of thing. There are four cameras in this price range, I'd summarise them as follows:

The Nikon D3100 is best for novices as it has a built in user guide that helps explain what the features do. It also has 1080p video and great image quality.

The Pentax K-x also has live view, movie mode and adds built in image stabilisation. Its also much faster at 4.7fps.

The Sony A290 is a bit plasticky and quirky styling, but has a good guide mode and built in IS, though no live view or movie mode. The A390 has Live View and a tilting screen but is otherwise similar.

The Canon EOS 1000D is a bit long in the tooth in this company. It does have Live View but no movie mode and its metering/focusing spec is a bit underwhelming compared with rivals.

If you want movies that rules out the Sony. If you're into sports that favours the Pentax. If you feel you could do with some on-board guidance that favours the Nikon or Sony. If you're attracted by low and high level shooting (eg ground level nature shots of plants etc) the tilting screen of the Sony would be useful. If you're looking to expand your system with a range of lenses and acessories the Nikon wins here, though there is an enormous range of secondhand lenses that will fit all these cameras going back decades.