PDA

View Full Version : Which bridge camera for travelling? 200 budget

goingtocostarica
04-01-11, 08:56 PM
title says it all really!

Am going to Central America for a few months and want amazing picture quality but can't stretch to a dslr, plus I have a feeling I won't want to be changing lenses etc in the jungle!

So I have a few questions...

1. are there any bridge cameras known to be fairly durable and able to cope with extremes of weather?

2. Which one should I buy? Any recommendations? I have been eyeing this one up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002KHMJ78/ref=cm_rdp_product

any help gratefully received!

PeterPhotos
10-01-11, 07:53 AM
I have had a number of small digital cameras and am very happy with the current one. I have a Canon Powershot SX100 IS witha 10x zoom and macro capability. I have taken some super pictures with it and it makes quite a reasonable short movie too. It is not available now but the SX120 IS is likely to be as good and well within your budget. Here are some general tips:

- Have a good zoom range
- Have macro for butterflys, flowers etc
- Rather than spending extra on a robust camera, buy a good pouch and take a plastic bag!
- Buy a camera that takes AA batteries (only ignore this if you are buying a serious DSLR)
- For your trip take several medium capacity memory cards rather than one big one (it is also cheaper per MB doing that anyway
- Always shoot at the highest resolution as you never know what you might want to do with the photo in the long term and it does give you more options in Photoshop
- Use rechargeable batteries but always carry Duracell Ultra for an emergency
- Look at the reviews in this magazine.

Enjoy your trip.