PDA

View Full Version : Help!

bjrochy
23-11-10, 07:51 PM
Hi there just joined because i am looking for help! My wife has a wedding cake business and wants to take photos of her cakes and put them onto her website. she and i have NO idea about camers i want to get her one for xmass but dont know where to start, was thinking of spending £300 can go up or down depending on advise she is a total novice but picture quality must be high,maybe some effects ie colours to make the cakes look more interesting but a simple to use camera a must! please help. many thanks Brian

aidys1
24-11-10, 10:29 AM
Hi if they are to be placed on her business website you will need quality and the only way for that is going the DSLR route along with a quality tripod, shutter release cable, decent clean background sheets and possible some off camera lighting although the lighting I would class as optional. You will also need some decent editing software to make her cakes jump out at you on the website. You say the budget is in the £300’ish category to be honest a entry level DSLR will be around the £400 to £500 mark and a good quality tripod £100 to £200 mark along with the other accessories you are probably looking at spending £600 minimum but closer to £1000 and slightly more than that if you get some studio lighting to.
Also flickr would be a good place for ideas and to see what they have used in the taking of the image, did a quick search on wedding cakes for you and brought this lady up. (Follow link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28607271@N02

Didn’t look for to long, leaving that for you to do. I hope this helps and good luck with the venture.
Happy snapping Aidy

bjrochy
24-11-10, 01:47 PM
Thanks think i will get camera and family member for tripod etc! Any ideas what make of camera to start with i have no idea and shops seem to bombard me with too much tecno info./???

Thanks again Brian

aidys1
24-11-10, 07:58 PM
Hi Brian me personally I am a Sony user and love both my Alpha A200 and A300 but Canon or Nikon are very good too, if I were you I’d go for any of these three makes, best bet is to pop into your local camera shop and handle all three of their entry models and go for the one that feels most comfortable in your hands. Sorry couldn’t be of more help and happy hunting Aidy