PDA

View Full Version : Lenses - Sigma 18-250 OSM vs nikkor 18-200 VR

MrLock
17-11-10, 11:48 AM
I currently have a Nikon D5000 with 18-55 VR kit lense and 55-200 Nikkor lens. Whilst i was in Canada i kept getting caught out having the wrong lense attached and decided i need an every day lense. I am still pretty new at all this though so be gentle.

Searching the net for every forum going with regard to the Tamron 18-270 OS vs Sigma 18-250 OS lens debate, i think i have confused myself further.

I was swaying more toward the Sigma 18-250, for the Speed of focusing and some other minor points, but im starting to wonder if its worth me considering the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens instead.

Does the picture quality make up for the shortness of the range?

Sigma 18-250 OSH vs Nikkor 18-200 VR Lens?

Thank you

arem001
18-11-10, 02:06 PM
I think that there are no errors, depending on whether you are shooting really cause you problems

Will54
19-11-10, 12:12 PM
I currently have a Nikon D5000 with 18-55 VR kit lense and 55-200 Nikkor lens. Whilst i was in Canada i kept getting caught out having the wrong lense attached and decided i need an every day lense. I am still pretty new at all this though so be gentle.

Searching the net for every forum going with regard to the Tamron 18-270 OS vs Sigma 18-250 OS lens debate, i think i have confused myself further.

I was swaying more toward the Sigma 18-250, for the Speed of focusing and some other minor points, but im starting to wonder if its worth me considering the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens instead.

Does the picture quality make up for the shortness of the range?

Sigma 18-250 OSH vs Nikkor 18-200 VR Lens?

Thank you

Hi,
I have the D5000 +18-200 VR Nikkor,
I must say that I am completely satisfied with it , I've had it for 3 years now and have taken 1000's of shots with it, it focuses very quick.You will hear complaints about the fact that some versions creep when pointed straight up or down,fortunately mine doesn't hardly move. Even if it did I dont see it as a great problem as I'm always holding the camera with two hands.The latest version has a lock that holds it whilst closed,ok unless you forget to unlock it.
The VR is fantastic hence I very rarely use a tripod unless I want to be in the pic as well,with a creepy lens again I dont see much of a problem as the camera would not be vertical or pointing straight down.There is a rubber band fix for vertical shots however, so I've read.
On another forum there are posts of complaints that a couple of Sigma lenses are not working properly on a D7000. I had a Sigma 28 - 300 some years back on a Canon that over exposed all my shots so I took it back for a refund. I'm not saying all Sigmas are problematical but my experience is check out third party lenses thoroughly before buying.The Tamron 18- 270mm is getting good reviews.I had a Tamron 28- 200 some while back and that was fine. If you can go to a dealer and try them out against one another with your own SD card then look at them at home on your PC.Thats what I did.

Will54
19-11-10, 12:30 PM
Mrlock
One more thing I should have said, is that all telephoto lenses are something of a compromise.
So the longer the range the more the compromise will be image quality wise.
You may be dissappointed with the 200mm / 250mm / 270mm end of the lenses you mentioned against your 55-200mm at 200mm image quality wise.Thats why I would check them out if poss.Weight and build quality count for something as well.
Good luck.