PDA

View Full Version : Probably a VERY silly question about filters

truewiganer
07-12-09, 08:01 AM
Hi,
Ive recently purchased a nikon d3000, with a 18 -55 vr lens and a 70 - 300 tameron lens (i think thats how you spell it)
Ive also inhereted all my fathers old equipment, he has alot of different filters, and they vary in size some fit on my lenses and some do not. is it possible to get adaptors so they will fit,
for example one my 18 -55 lens the filer size is 52 and the star light filter id really like to use on my wider angle shots is of size 56, is there a way i can fit them together?
im guessing that i cant with the 70 - 300 lense because that has a filter size of 62 so putting a 56 size filter on it would give me a false boundry,

sorry for the really silly question, i'm really really new to photography,

Mike Lowe
07-12-09, 12:39 PM
Hi,
Ive recently purchased a nikon d3000, with a 18 -55 vr lens and a 70 - 300 tameron lens (i think thats how you spell it)
Ive also inhereted all my fathers old equipment, he has alot of different filters, and they vary in size some fit on my lenses and some do not. is it possible to get adaptors so they will fit,
for example one my 18 -55 lens the filer size is 52 and the star light filter id really like to use on my wider angle shots is of size 56, is there a way i can fit them together?
im guessing that i cant with the 70 - 300 lense because that has a filter size of 62 so putting a 56 size filter on it would give me a false boundry,

sorry for the really silly question, i'm really really new to photography,

In a word, no. If you want screw-on/single fit filters then you'll need to buy filters that fit. Some lenses have the ability to take filters to the rear of the lens, as to be cost effective. For example a 250mm f/2 would have a 125mm front glass diameter so, irrelevant of the impracticality of fitting a filter, the cost would be huge. And with costings in mind, make sure you're picking filters that are useful for your needs and good quality. Many companies have 'digitally optimised' filters that differ from the traditional 35mm film-type filters.

Alternatively you can buy a square filter system with an adaptor that holds the filter infront of the lens - here, within reason, the size of the front of the lens isn't of consequence, as the filters are oversized for use with a range of lenses. Cokin is a good example and has more details online: http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/main.htm. Of course there are other filter brands such as Hoya, B&W, Lee, and Rosco, among others...

Nigel Atherton
07-12-09, 02:06 PM
Actually you can buy step-up rings that screw into the front of your lens and have a larger thread flange so you can attach larger filters. Examples here. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=step+up+rings&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=4126276723&ref=pd_sl_62n4ms1no4_e)

Obviously you wouldn't attach a smaller filter to a larger diameter lens.
Economically I question whether using step-up rings is worth doing these days, unless you have several filters you wish to use, and you'll find you'll also need to buy a larger lens cap/lens hood too.
But the possibility is there.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=step+up+rings&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=4126276723&ref=pd_sl_62n4ms1no4_e)