PDA

View Full Version : Which SLR as upgrade to current A300?

vblue
07-06-10, 10:05 AM
Hi there,

Looking for some help and advice. I currently have a Sony A-300 D-SLR and am now looking to upgrade. I want something that will be a noticeable improvement on my Sony in terms of picture quality. My budget is around 1000, including lens.

The main type of photos I take are portraits (my kids) and landscapes. I'm not hugely bothered by video (already have a Flip MIno HD) so am looking for a camera based on photo quality.

I had thought about a Canon 550D but went to Jessops and was advised the Canon 50D would be better for my needs as the sensor was bigger in the 50D and I didn't need the video on the 550D. Then went to another camera shop where they advised the 550D was better than the 50D as it is newer technology and has more features! So I am now really confused :confused:

Having done some research then the Nikon D90 also seems to get good reviews. My only concern with the D90 and the EOS 50D is both seem to have been out for a while so are they due to be replaced soon and therefore am I better waiting?

So should I get EOS 550D? EOS 50D? D90? Something else? Or wait 'til the replacement for the 50D comes out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shaun

Matt
07-06-10, 03:06 PM
Regardless of how old it is, the EOS 50D is an excellent DSLR. The benefits it brings over the EOS 550D are mostly related to image resolution, sturdiness of frame and burst mode. It will more than likely be replaced soon, but I would still recommend it. However, if the above benefits aren't of any concern to you the EOS 550D is a superb choice. Likewise the D90, which is available for some impressive prices at the moment.

By the sounds of your usages the EOS 550D would suit you fine, as the metering system is more advanced than the other two models and the resolution would be perfectly adequate for your needs.

vblue
07-06-10, 09:53 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that the EOS 550D will take better pictures than the EOS 50D or vice versa?

How would you rate the D90 in comparison to the 2 Canon's?

Thanks
Shaun