PDA

View Full Version : What do i go for?

OLD JUD
20-05-10, 04:11 PM
Hi folks, may i pick your brains?:confused:

I'm considering a camera upgrade from my five year old Konica Minolta A200. It's been a great little camera but i could use a longer zoom, i like the look of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38EB-K.

I'm also pondering on maybe a secondhand digital SLR such as a Sigma SD10 with the following included..............
Sigma Carry Strap.
Sigma Power Pack SD.
Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flashgun.
Sigma RS-21 remote control.
Sigma Pro 2 editing software disc.
2 Gb Sandisk Extreme 3 CF card.
PC cable.
AC Adaptor.
Carry Case.

Lenses and filters:-

Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro.
Sigma 12-24mm EX DG HSM.
Sigma 17-35mm EX AF
Sigma 28-200 Aspherical.

72mm Polarising filter.
82mm Skylight filter.

I have seen this kit at just under £400, what do you good people think? And here's another option........

Nikon D200 Digital SLR + MB-D200 Vertical Grip
Includes Battery (x1), Battery Charger, Camera Body, Body Cap, USB Cable, official MB-D200 Vertical/Battery Grip and AA battery adapter for Grip.

£350 for all the Nikon kit above.

I have also seen a few secondhand Canon EOS300 & EOS 350 kits around the £300+ mark
What do you guys advise?

Paul Nuttall
21-05-10, 10:22 AM
Hi Jud,

Youíve got quite an array of options there with regards to upgrading! The second-hand DSLR market is often a fantastic place to bag yourself a bargain, owing to the fact that a lot of photographers upgrade their gear on a regular basis, and as such you can get relatively new and good-quality gear at an affordable price. However, as is the case when buying anything second-hand, itís important that you view the gear in person wherever possible to guarantee quality.

The Sigma bundle is an interesting proposition. The SD10 is around seven years old now, so is quite a dated model, but itís the rest of the gear that catches my eye. The lenses on offer are all of a decent quality Ė the 12-24mm EX DG HSM alone retails for more than the asking price for the whole kit. Iíd say that itís definitely worth further examination.

When released, the Nikon D200 was the kind of DSLR that made photographers sit up and take notice. Despite being nearly six years old, its specification is still pretty current. Furthermore, the magnesium alloy weatherproof body should insure that itís still in pretty good nick. My only hesitation is that the kit seems to not include any lenses? If thatís the case, then youíd be looking at further investment to get it up and running.

Finally, the Canon EOS 300D and 350D are both good DSLRs. They are, however, towards the lower end / entry-level section of the market, and as such youíd have to look into what the Ďkitsí involved.

Well, I hope that sheds some light on the situation. If youíve got any more questions do post them, and let us know how you get on.

OLD JUD
21-05-10, 05:40 PM
Hi Jud,

Youíve got quite an array of options there with regards to upgrading! The second-hand DSLR market is often a fantastic place to bag yourself a bargain, owing to the fact that a lot of photographers upgrade their gear on a regular basis, and as such you can get relatively new and good-quality gear at an affordable price. However, as is the case when buying anything second-hand, itís important that you view the gear in person wherever possible to guarantee quality.

The Sigma bundle is an interesting proposition. The SD10 is around seven years old now, so is quite a dated model, but itís the rest of the gear that catches my eye. The lenses on offer are all of a decent quality Ė the 12-24mm EX DG HSM alone retails for more than the asking price for the whole kit. Iíd say that itís definitely worth further examination.

When released, the Nikon D200 was the kind of DSLR that made photographers sit up and take notice. Despite being nearly six years old, its specification is still pretty current. Furthermore, the magnesium alloy weatherproof body should insure that itís still in pretty good nick. My only hesitation is that the kit seems to not include any lenses? If thatís the case, then youíd be looking at further investment to get it up and running.

Finally, the Canon EOS 300D and 350D are both good DSLRs. They are, however, towards the lower end / entry-level section of the market, and as such youíd have to look into what the Ďkitsí involved.

Well, I hope that sheds some light on the situation. If youíve got any more questions do post them, and let us know how you get on.

Hi Paul, thank you for your interesting and welcome reply.
The Sigma kit does sound very interesting but i've read that there have been some issues with dust being attracted to the mirror?

The Nikon has a good review and your right in thinking that it's body only at that price.

I should have stated that my budget is a maximum of £400 and i want a camera that is capable of recording RAW files. I'm not really bothered about recording movies, i'd rather have a camera that just take first rate photo's!