PDA

View Full Version : Another "Which DSLR" thread; new or used?

Mefster
01-05-10, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been reading quite a few previous threads on the forum and have found them really useful. I thought it would be the ideal place to as a couple of questions I have.

At present I have a small compact and old Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera which has served me well over the years. I'm aware of the improvement in quality and versatility that I would get from a DSLR, and with young children would certainly benefit from the lack of shutter lag to avoid 'missing the moment'. I'd planned to spend about 600 but as yet other priorities have stopped me taking the plunge.

My first experience with a DSLR was with my Brother's Nikon D70 which a was really impressed with. As the Nikon range evolved to the D70s, D80 and D90 I noticed the obvious improvements; increased sensor size, LCD size, ISO range, dust removal system (as well as change from CF to SD, although I'm not sure that's an improvement).

Recently whilst browsing eBay I noticed an original D70 with lens could be bought for 150. Obviously this is a 5 year old design and technology has improved and moved down the range. My real question is would a D70 be a good buy in today's market? Or would I be better paying an extra 50 to get a d70s, or waiting until I'm in the Market for a D80 or D90? Would a newer 'entry-level' DSLR such as a D40x be better than an older D70? I don't know as much about the D40/D50/D60 range but was aware there can be some difference in the location of the autofocus motor in the lens rather than body, which can limit future lens choice. As I'm used to Nikon cameras and their menus I'm happier to stick with Nikon.

Any advice would be gratefully received!