PDA

View Full Version : New Camera question

Bluepeter
21-03-10, 07:38 AM
Hi,

Just been reading all the questions relating to new cameras and advice, I am in the same boat, I have been interested in photography for quite a while, and used to have an SLR (Olympus OM2), which I sold many years ago. With more time on my hands now would really like to get back into taking pictures other than with a simple point and shoot Digital camera, which I have been using for a while.

I've looked at Nikon (secondhand D80) and D3000 plus Olympus (E510,E450) and want to know if I am looking in the right direction? Are extra lenses an issue?, more limited by the Olympus, or are there other considerations. Will use it for the normal shots, Landscape, wildlife, buildings, people, possibly some close up work, and as I walk quite a lot would consider weight and size to be considerations.

Any help would be useful before I take the plunge.

Peter

RogerMac
21-03-10, 07:51 PM
I can not really advise you as I only know the Olympus range, The standard advice is to visit a camera shop and try out the possibles. Whatever fits you hands is the best for you as nowadays there are very few bad cameras about.

Having said that I would like to make some points:

1 The dust busting on the Olys does really work and some funny stories have been floating about the web about the quality of the Nikon and Canon versions.

2. The E510 has in body image stabilisation that works with all lenses (even manual legacy ones) and is a great bonus in low light.

3. Here is a link to a list of the available E series lenses http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/lenses.html . Of the Oly ones all are good - even the standard ones. I have two of the high grade ones which are outstanding, unfortunately I do not think that I will be able to justify any of the super high grade ones.

Hope that is some help

Hope that helps

Bluepeter
23-03-10, 06:32 AM
Thanks for that, I am definitely swinging to the Olympus, it's interesting to know the older lenses work well with the camera. Just deciding on a really good second hand camera, or brand new.

Hopefully, one will turn up soon.

Regards

Peter