PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party lens for Nikon D300s

islanddream
04-03-10, 09:32 PM
Hi all
I have a Nikon D300s with these various lenses, Nikon 18-200mm VR 3.5-5.6, Nikon 50mm 1.8 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Sigma 10-20mm and the Sigma 70-300mm DG macro (which I am selling). Now I want to buy a standard fast lens which I can use for weddings portraits and some landscape. The 18-200mm has served me well in good light but isn't suitable in low light situations or in what I like doing most, which is portraits. I know the 50mm is a great lens for that, but I do want a lens that I am not going to continually have to be changing. I have read loads of reviews about the Nikon 17-55mm and 24-70mm 2.8 but because of the D300s sensor size and what I want to shoot the 24-70mm isn't suitable (even though it is a great lens). However it comes down to finances, so I am now looking at the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC and would like to know if there is anyone on this forum who has used this lens and how they feel about it and if there is any other recommendations out there.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

islanddream
05-03-10, 08:23 PM
Come on guys!! There must be someone somewhere who has used the lens that I mentioned or have an opinion.
Please

Nigel Atherton
10-03-10, 03:25 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner we've been away at Focus on Imaging.

We've got an in-depth head of the head of the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 in the net issue of WDC, which comes out on 19th March. At the risk of spoiling the surprise, both lenses do very well indeed and get Gold Awards. It comes down in the end to whether you want the constant f/2.8 aperture of the Tamron or the extra reach of the Sigma. Also, the Sigma is a bit better at wide apertures while the Tamron is better at smaller ones.
I'd recommend reading the full review though and studying the MTF charts.

islanddream
11-03-10, 06:46 PM
That's ok Nigel, I should have known anyway. Wanted to go myself!! Anyway ive just bought the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC. Ive a wedding to go to in 2 weeks and although I'm not the photographer (my choice, i'm not ready yet) I wanted a fast standard lens for the Nikon D300s and the Tamron seems to fit the bill. I will be trying it out soon but it's good to know that it tested well with you as I do tend to look at test results as well as user reviews.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to your next edition!!!