PDA

View Full Version : Processing Time on a Camera

j000e
22-02-10, 12:33 PM
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a Nikon P6000, one of my friends has a Nikon DSLR. When taking photos i notice that his can take photos far far quicker, you take a photo and then it's ready to take another almost instantly. The P6000 however sometimes has to wait for the flash to load, has to wait to process the image etc.

Basically i would prefer a faster camera, but don't want to compromise on the size as the reason i got the P6000 is because of it's features in a small body. Is it simply that the DSLR is always going to be faster due to it's size etc. or are there compacts that can provide me with the fast "point and shoot" that i want?

Sorry for the muddled question, it's hard to desribe what i want!

nikonian
26-05-10, 03:39 AM
What you experience is called shutterlag and the speed of the built in engine in the camera (the one thas writes and applies the settings and wrties it to the card)

shutterlang is the time that passes between pressing the shutter full and being ready to take a new photo

these are the times the coolpix takes

PERFORMANCE

Timings and Shutter Lag
In order to provide context for comparing different cameras in the same class, the results of our basic timings tests will be presented in table form going forward.

Shutter Lag (press-to-capture, pre-focused)

Camera Time (seconds)
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W300 0.02
Canon PowerShot A2000 IS 0.03
Fujifilm FinePix F60fd 0.05
Nikon Coolpix P6000 0.06
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 0.08

AF Acquisition (press-to-capture, no pre-focus)

Camera Time (seconds)
Canon PowerShot A2000 IS 0.38
Fujifilm FinePix F60fd 0.42
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 0.46
Nikon Coolpix P6000 0.61
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W300 0.67

source :http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3751&review=nikon+coolpix+p6000

the second thing that is imortant is the muber of shorts a camera can take before having to write down to the menory card , with alomst all dslr the buffer will be greather thus giving you time to shoot longer .

the third thing is the speed and size of the memory card and the read and write speed of the card , i have noticed that with a lexar 4 gb sdhc class 10 i can shoot longer and even shoot a frame while it write to the memory card in my D80

i happen to have several compact and dslrs and just a few have acceptable shutterlag

So i have noticed that nikon coolpix camera's are slow especially the P and L models the only o0nes that are acceptable are the "s"models .

with a dslr you have greater control over your pictures, a compact seldem let you change the iso and whtiebalance or aperture and shutterspeeds .