PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

StinkyBritc
05-02-10, 07:57 AM
I've noticed that the ipad has really split the public and i'd like to get some more opinions on it.
I'm an avid book reader and i would only buy the ipad for its ibook features, would you recommend me to wait and get the ipad or just buy a kindle? the kindles are cheaper on amazon.com

thanks in advance! http://www.freesmileys4u.info/pics/O/e.gif

NRoberts
05-02-10, 08:27 AM
Why not just stick with, er, books?

I'm a gadget fiend, but I've not found reading books on a PDA or smartphone to be anything like as much fun as reading a paperback. The iPad at this stage seems to me to be an outrageously expensive bit of very attractive kit in need of a purpose.

Right now, if I really wanted ebooks, I would download the Kindle reader for PC for my netbook.

shaun2k
05-02-10, 10:09 AM
personnaly i'd pass, as its missing some usefull stuff, they still have the restricted net, you cant multitask, and in general its ridiculously priced...

Mike Lowe
08-02-10, 02:23 PM
I've noticed that the ipad has really split the public and i'd like to get some more opinions on it.
I'm an avid book reader and i would only buy the ipad for its ibook features, would you recommend me to wait and get the ipad or just buy a kindle? the kindles are cheaper on amazon.com

thanks in advance! http://www.freesmileys4u.info/pics/O/e.gif

I think it's a case of waiting until it's out and looking at it in person. It is, essentially, an enlarged iPhone and the screen is likely to be of a similar ilk; good, but not as 'book like' as a Kindle's digital ink system and non-reflective screen. The iPad will do more than a Kindle though, as it has all the internet browsing capability of your iPhone and a colour screen. Not that I've tested one yet, but I predict battery life to be fairly limited - more of a problem for those wanting to exclusively use it as an iBook. Kindle is Amazon-only and its book formats exclusive and non-transferrable to other devices. Saying that, I'd rather an iPad or a Kindle over the Sony and other-brand offerings that I've seen.

scenethat
16-02-10, 10:46 AM
I think it's a case of waiting until it's out and looking at it in person. It is, essentially, an enlarged iPhone and the screen is likely to be of a similar ilk; good, but not as 'book like' as a Kindle's digital ink system and non-reflective screen. The iPad will do more than a Kindle though, as it has all the internet browsing capability of your iPhone and a colour screen. Not that I've tested one yet, but I predict battery life to be fairly limited - more of a problem for those wanting to exclusively use it as an iBook. Kindle is Amazon-only and its book formats exclusive and non-transferrable to other devices. Saying that, I'd rather an iPad or a Kindle over the Sony and other-brand offerings that I've seen.

I think it would be better if it was an enlarged iPhone. At least I could do my Dom Joly "I'm on the phone!" The only time I could see myself using one would be when I'm trundling around my Californian beach-side house on my Segway...

Matt
04-03-10, 03:00 PM
As Apple rarely make a misstep in terms of products I doubt the iPad will fall flat, but there are plenty of problems I can forsee with it, not least of all that it occupies that unecessary hole between laptop and mobile phone. The digital imaging support seems lacking too, as an adapter is required to plug in a memory card/tether to a camera and it seems a bit much for reading a book as Mike says. Unless there's some wonder app waiting in the future which none of us have seen or thought of I'm thinking this will be for die-hard Mac-heads only.